Katherine A. Kuchan, R.N., J.D.
330 East Kilbourn Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Phone: (414) 721-0479
Fax: (414) 721-0491
Katherine Kuchan, a Shareholder in the firm, provides legal counsel to clients in numerous states regarding regulatory and compliance matters, including advising clients on fraud and abuse matters coordinated through federal and state enforcement agencies, defending hospitals involved in governmental investigations, coordinating internal investigations, advising corporate compliance officers and assisting with repayments to government health care programs. She actively works with hospitals and other health care entities on special regulatory problems involving survey and licensure, EMTALA, risk management and caregiver misconduct. Ms. Kuchan also represents clients involved in medical staff matters including quality of care, peer review and licensing and credentialing. Ms. Kuchan’s experience as a Registered Nurse offers her clients the benefit and value of working with legal counsel who has practical, clinical knowledge and real life experience from working in the health care industry. For a list of Ms. Kuchan’s publications and presentations, click here.
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, M.S.
- Marquette University, B.S.
- Marquette University Law School , J.D., magna cum laude
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- RN Licensure in Wisconsin
- Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association Seminar, Preparing for the Impact of the Alaska False Claims Act (September 2016)
- 2016 Pacific Northwest Health Care Labor & Employment Seminar, Handle with Care: Corrective Actions for Clinical Providers (June 2016)
- Compliance Essentials in a High-Stakes Enforcement Era, The Federal Government's Top 10 Enforcement Hit List (October 2015)
- HCCA North Central Regional Annual Conference, Compliance and Cloning: The Perils of Copy-and-Paste in EHRs (October 2014)
- Webinar, Wisconsin Hospital Association, Record Retention, Patients' Rights, IRBs, HIV Testing & Other Consent Issues: Updates to the WHA Health Law Manuals (September 2014)
- Med Spa Success Workshop & Networking Reception, Update on Wisconsin Med Spa & Laser Laws (December 2013)
- TAANA 30th Annual Meeting & Educational Conference, False Claims Act Enforcement in Health Care: Recent Developments & Compliance Strategies (November 2011)
- W-One Annual Convention, Critical Access Hospital Overview and Update (April 2011)
- Catholic Health Association Compliance Conference, Healthcare Reform: What Every Compliance Officer Needs to Know (October 2010)
- Webinar, Wisconsin Office of Rural Health, Be Prepared: Take Charge of the Survey Process (August 2010)
- Webinar, Wisconsin Hospital Association, WHA 2010 Update: Hospital's Guide for Mass Casualty Events (July 2010)
- TAANA 28th Annual Meeting & Educational Conference, Navigating a Government Health Care Fraud Investigation (October 2009)
- "Healthcare and the False Claims Act - 2016" - Healthlaw Publishing LLC
- "Patients' Rights, IRB, HIV & Other Miscellaneous Issues Manual 2013"- Wisconsin Hospital Association
- "Record Retention Manual 2013"- Wisconsin Hospital Association
- "Not Hip to HIPAA? Could Lead to Pain in the Pocketbook" - Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Risk Management, Risky Business, December 2013
- "2010 Hospital's Guide For Mass Casualty Events" - Wisconsin Hospital Association